Tuesday, December 2, 2008

About this blog

I think there are 2 parameters that will be most important to this blog: content and tone.
I'm hoping to focus the content on medically-related issues and GLBT issues. Being Canadian makes both these issues uber-interesting, since there's a lot of comparison to be made with the US.
I hope to base most of my writings on evidence. I've come to a point in my life where I realize that there are a ridiculous number of ideas and philosophies in our world, and that they aren't all mutually compatible. In my mind, figuring out the best way to live requires a hard look at the facts about our world, and seeing where that takes you. Therefore, while I might touch on other topics like religion, philosophy, or politics, I hope to limit it to what I can legitimately back up.
By tone, I mean the way in which I write. I plan on writing a lot about opinions--mine (and why I think they're correct or why I'm on the fence) and others' (and why I think they're valid or invalid). From what I've read on other blogs, it seems likely that it's tempting to generalize and depreciate those who disagree. I hope that in my writing I can avoid these mistakes as much as possible. Insults and ridicule have never changed anyone's mind, as far as I can tell. Reason and evidence are the only truly useful tools we have to orient ourselves in this world, and the same goes for showing others our point of view.
So feel free to comment on any of my postings. Point out my mistakes and give me your feedback. I hope you find the posts informative and interesting.
Sincererly,
That Chris Guy

No comments: